Subject to the availability of funds, the TN Arts Commission is offering one-time, non-matching support for:
Student Ticket Subsidy Service Providers on the Teaching Artist Roster contracted with schools to execute STS projects between March-May 2020 impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This STS opportunity is solely due to the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic during the time frame of March-May 2020. STS service providers should be clear that they will not be paid for financial losses caused by ANY cancellation by a school in the future for preparation and supplies or any alternate version of the project.
Options for Student Ticket Subsidy (STS) Service Providers:
1. Request to do online alternative project with students following CDC Guidelines. After approval, execute project and close out STS grant. STS Service Providers do not submit the Special Opportunities grant application.
2. Request to execute a different but equivalent project with teachers (e.g. online teacher training workshop taking teachers through steps of a lesson plan related to original project). After Commission approval, execute project and close out STS grant. STS Service Providers do not submit the Special Opportunities grant application.
3. School is unable to execute project or change scope of the project. STS grant is canceled. Artist or arts organization is eligible to submit Special Opportunities grant application listing preparation time and money spent on materials. Artist uploads any available deliverables to application (lesson plan, video of performance, etc.). Artist is encouraged to share deliverables with contracted school. Commission reviews Special Opportunities grant application for consideration of payment up to the amount for Artist Fees/Ticket Funding awarded in the STS grant contract. If the application and budget are approved, the Commission will reimburse the artist or arts organization directly for reasonable, documented preparation time and supplies authorized under the contract budget, as well as deliverables shared with contracted schools. The value of time will be based on documented salary or contract rates for employees of arts organizations. Self-employed artists are encouraged to use the Teaching Artist Rate Pay Calculator to establish an estimate of expenses for the artist’s time. Awards are not to exceed the amount for Artist/Ticket Fees listed in the STS grant contracts. Option #3 is only available to artists and organizations located in Tennessee.
4. If STS grant is canceled, no payment is made to school.
General Guidelines for Grant Category
This grant opportunity is funded based on accurately completed submissions on a first-come, first-served basis, and will close when all funds are allocated or by the application closing date of June 15, 2020, whichever comes first.
Student Ticket Subsidy Service Providers on the Teaching Artist Roster:
- May request up to the sum total amount of Artist Fees/Ticket Costs associated with FY2020 Student Ticket Subsidy grant projects/events canceled due to the COVID-19 state of emergency.
- The STS Service Provider must indicate the school names, project dates, and grant numbers for all STS canceled projects/events due to COVID-19.
- The STS grant records must be canceled by the schools at the time of application.
- Applicants must submit proof of all STS canceled STS projects/events due to COVID-19 up to a sum total less than $5,000 in one application. If the STS Service Provider intends to request additional Artist Fees/Ticket Funding over $5,000, multiple applications must be submitted.
For information contact Ann Brown, Director of Arts Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible STS Service Providers must be able to outline the following qualifications when applying:
- STS Service Providers who are individuals must be a resident of Tennessee. Upload a copy of the applicant’s Tennessee voter registration card or legal State of Tennessee driver’s license into the Documents section of the grant application in order to provide proof of residency.
- STS Service Providers that are organizations must be headquartered in Tennessee.
- STS Service Providers must upload documentation of cancellations of STS projects/events due to COVID-19 (e.g. email from school personnel cancelling project).
Those not eligible to apply include:
- STS Service Providers who are individual teaching artists not living in Tennessee, or organizations listed as services providers not headquartered in Tennessee
- Artists and organizations not approved on the Tennessee Arts Commission’s Teaching Artist Roster
- STS Service Providers with STS projects/events canceled due to reasons other than COVID-19
- Full-time State of Tennessee employees (other than instructors on the faculties of state-supported higher learning educational institutions)
- Children under the age of 18 years
- Members of the Commission, its staff, and members of their families
If awarded, awardees must submit an IRS W9 form if instructed in the award email and submit a grant evaluation in the online grants system to request funds.
For further eligibility information, please refer to the Tennessee Arts Commission’s Legal Requirements. Additionally, all organizational applicants are required to have a DUNS number. Information and application instructions to retrieve an organization’s DUNS can be found here.
All Tennessee Arts Commission sponsored programs, services, and facilities are fully accessible to all Tennessee artists and citizens. Artists representing Tennessee’s diverse artistic and cultural heritage are urged to apply and participate in programs and activities. No person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, or sex shall be excluded from participation in, or be denied benefits of, or otherwise be subject to discrimination of services, programs, and employment provided by the Tennessee Arts Commission and its contracting agencies. If an individual believes he or she has been subjected to discrimination, he/she should contact the Commission’s Director of Arts Access, Kim Johnson at 615-532-9797 or the Tennessee Relay Center at 1-800-848-0298 (TTY) or 1-800-848-0299 (Voice).
Special Opportunities applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-come basis by Commission staff using the following criteria. Applications should demonstrate merit by showing the following:
- The application is well presented.
- The budget request is reflective of the costs associated with the published requirements as related to STS grants with contracts between March-May 2020 and impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The appropriate documentation is attached to the application.
Funding is based on the narrative case put forth in the application, accuracy of completing the application, and on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are expended. Applications sent back to applicants for modifications/corrections will not maintain their order of submission until a complete/corrected application is resubmitted.
The Tennessee Arts Commission reserves the right to deny any application or withhold funding in whole or in part, if the applicant individual’s or organization’s programming and activities are outside of the scope or spirit of the Commission’s mission, purpose, or this grant program.
This category grant does not require a cash match.
Special Opportunities applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. In-house staff will review for completeness and appropriateness and that the application meets published guidelines. Applications sent back for edits or additional information will not be included in the first-come, first-served timeline until they are resubmitted and compete. Funding notification will take place via email.
PAYMENT & CLOSE-OUT REQUIREMENTS
If awarded, payment will be distributed by the TN Arts Commission. Awardees will asked to submit an evaluation form to receive payment.
If you, personally, haven’t registered in the online grants system, please do so. Instructions can be found here. If appropriate, indicate that you are applying on behalf of an organization (if the organization with which you work is listed on the Tennessee Arts Commission’s Teaching Artist Roster). It may take up to two working days for your registration to be approved and your log in and temporary password to be emailed to you. Once you receive your credentials, you may log into the system.
Use the “People” link to ensure your profile is complete and accurate. This information will also be used in the review of the application. To open the record for editing, click the edit button at the top of the screen. Answer the question, “I am (may be) applying for funding as an individual (in the future)” as YES.
- NOTE: The forms in this portal do not auto-save. Always click the “Save” button before navigating away from the form you are editing to save your work.
- Beware that clicking the back navigation button on your web browser will exit you from the system and you will lose your work.
Once you’ve received the online grants system credentials, log into the online grants system and fill out the application.
IMPORTANT: First, contact Ann Brown, Director of Arts Education at email@example.com to make notification that you intend to apply for the Special Opportunities grant. After eligibility is determined by Commission staff, a draft application will be made available under the Draft Applications tab in your online grants account.
Scroll down the page to see the draft Rolling Grant application and open it for editing.
- Make note of the application #: R-XXXX-XXXXX
- Select Fiscal Year → Enter fiscal year 2020
- Select Grant Category → Special Opportunities
- Select appropriate response to “Is this your first time applying for Commission funds?”
- Select appropriate response to “Are you applying as”. Note: If you, as an individual are applying for loss of income associated with COVID-19, choose “None of the above” AND please check the box immediately below that is listed as “Check this box if you are applying as an individual”
- If you are applying as an individual, make sure your name appears in the box, “name”
- If your organization is the applicant four fields appear, make sure that the following four items are filled in correctly:
- Organization Name field populates with your organization’s name. If not, erase the organization listed and start typing your organization’s name, it should populate.
- The location field pre-populates as “org name” – headquarters
- Primary Contact field should populate your name
- Primary Signatory field may populate with your name, BUT SHOULD BE the person who can legally sign a contract for your organization. They should appear in the dropdown box. If they do not, select Add New and input their name and email address. It could be you, if you are the person who can legally sign contracts for your organization.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and press the SAVE button on the bottom right of the screen.
The system will load the appropriate application for you to fill out. At this point, if you leave the system, you may log back into your account and locate your application by selecting the “Draft Applications” link in the grey menu on the left side of your screen under the heading APPLICATIONS. If you have several drafts, locate the Special Opportunities FY 2020 application with the correct #: R-XXXX-XXXXX.
Reopen your grant application for editing by clicking the edit button at the top of the screen.
Scroll down & and fill in the remainder of the application.
SAVE YOUR APPLICATION FREQUENTLY
- Project/Event Title → STS COVID-19 Relief
- Funding Description → To assist with preparation time, supplies expenses, and deliverables created impacted by COVID-19
- Project/Event Start Date → [between 30 days from today’s date and June 15, 2020]
- Project/Event End Date → [no later than June 15, 2020]
- Total Amount Requested for Project / Event → Insert your request. Do not exceed documented amount or published maximum request. Round your request down to the nearest $10. (example: Round $537 down to $530).
- Narrative → Explain preparation time broken down into days and hours, funds spent on materials, and deliverables created such as lesson plans, videos of performances, etc. related to STS projects contracted between March-May 2020 and impacted by COVID-19. Please be specific. A compelling narrative is a crucial factor in the grant award.
- Number of ADULTS Engaged → Insert the number of individuals this grant will support.
- Number of YOUTH Engaged → Insert the number of youth this grant will support.
- Total INDIVIDUALS Engaged → Insert the number of individuals this grant will support.
- Number of Artists Participating → Insert the number of individuals this grant will support.
- Underserved Participants → This refers to individuals this grant will support, so fill in the appropriate % for any applicable category.
- Project Discipline → Select the appropriate answer for you/your organization.
- Type of Activity → Select the appropriate activity based on your narrative response.
- Strategic Outcome → Select the appropriate answer for you/your organization.
- Arts Education → Select the appropriate answer for you/your organization.
Contracted Professional Fees
- With as much detail as possible, applicant should outline days and hourly time spent on preparation for STS projects impacted by COVID-19. Provide an hourly rate. Applicants are encouraged but not required to using the Teaching Artist Rate Pay Calculator to establish an estimate of expenses for the artist’s time.
Travel, Registration and Teacher Stipend – Do not put anything in this line item.
Consumable Supplies, Printing & Publications, etc.
- Consumable Supplies: With as much detail as possible, list supplies already purchased and itemized costs for STS projects contracted to occur between March-May 2020. If available, include receipts as an attachment in Documents section.
REQUIRED AND OTHER DOCUMENT UPLOADS FOR THIS APPLICATION
To upload documents, click the icon beside the Required Documents.
Required and prompted uploads in the Documents section of the Application:
- If applying as an STS Service Provider who is an individual: Individuals who are STS Service Providers must be a resident of Tennessee. Upload a copy of the individual’s Tennessee voter registration card or legal State of Tennessee driver’s license into the Documents section of the grant application in order to provide proof of residency.
- If applying as an STS Service Provider that is an organization: Organizations that are STS Service Providers must be located in Tennessee and must upload the most recent Corporate Annual Report located on the Tennessee Secretary of State website.
Required, but NOT prompted uploads in the Documents section of the Application:
- STS Service Providers must provide documentation of cancellation of STS projects contracted to occur between March-May 2020 and impacted by COVID-19. Examples include emails, screen shots with notice of cancellations, and original invoices or contracts.
Encouraged but not required or prompted uploads in the Documents section of the Application:
- Receipts for supplies purchased for STS projects contracted between March-May 2020 impacted by COVID-19.
- Deliverables created and shared with contracted schools during preparation. Examples include lesson plans, teacher’s guides, video of performance during rehearsal, etc.
Required, but NOT prompted uploads in the Documents section of the Organization profile:
- If applicable, create and upload the following document in the Organization profile of your portal in the online grants system. FY20 Title VI Training and Certification Form: Organizations only. Title VI Training is due at the time of application. For more information about completing the training, visit the Title VI Training information page.
Type your name and title where requested & check the box certifying your information.
If applying as an organization, two separate and distinct certifications are needed. You cannot certify both areas for an organization application. Two separate and distinct names must be indicated in the Assurances section.
Save your application.
Successfully submit your application by pressing the submit button on the bottom right.
You will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission.