Unique Entity ID Requirement

The federal government requires organizations to provide a UEI number on their grant applications. As a recipient of federal funding, the Tennessee Arts Commission also requires UEI numbers on all grant applications from organizations. Applicants who have not already done so must register with SAM.gov to be issued a Unique Entity ID (UEI). There is no fee for registering for a UEI.

What is a UEI? 

The federal government transitioned from the use of Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) numbers to a new Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) through the SAM.gov system as the primary identifier. This new SAM UEI is required of state, regional, and local agencies, along with nonprofit organizations that receive federal funding. The new SAM UEI is also required of subgrantees of state, regional, and local agencies.

Why does my organization have to provide it? 

The federal government’s Office of Management & Budget uses UEI record to track how federal grant money is awarded and dispersed. A percentage of the Tennessee Arts’ Commission’s grant money is federal, thus TAC requires Unique Entity ID, too.

Do all grant applications have to have a Unique Entity ID? 

All organizational applicants are required to provide their Unique Entity ID. Individuals are exempt.

How do I find out if my organization already has a Unique Entity ID? 

Your executive director, business manager, board treasurer, or accountant is likely to know and be able to provide your organization’s Unique Entity ID if you already have one. Organizations applying to the National Endowment for the Arts have been required to have a Unique Entity ID since October 1, 2003. Most Universities and colleges, state entities and large organizations already have Unique Entity ID.

If you aren’t sure if your organization has a Unique Entity ID, or if so, what it is, go here to search.

If you do not have a Unique Entity ID, apply by using this website: www.sam.gov.

Is there a fee for registering for a Unique Entity ID? 

No. Sam.gov does not charge a fee, and you are not obligated to purchase any of their products.

How do I get a Unique Entity ID? 

Applications are no longer accepted over the phone. To apply for a Unique Entity ID, go to this website: www.sam.gov and click onto Get Started. For best compatibility, applicants should use either Firefox or Google Chrome, and turn off any pop-ups for best results with the application. The sam.gov website will ask for the information listed below, after which you will be assigned an id, free of charge. An authorizing official (i.e., executive director or chair of the board) of the organization should fill out this request. It may take up to 30 days to receive the Unique Entity ID after applying on the website, so be sure to give yourself enough time to do this before your grant application deadline.
• Legal Name of organization
• Headquarters name (if different from Legal Name) and address for your organization
• Doing business as (DBA) or other name by which your organization is commonly known or recognized (if exists)
• Physical address: city, state, zip code
• Mailing address (if separate from headquarters and/or physical address)
• Telephone number
• Contact name and title
• Number of employees at your physical location