Tennessee Code Annotated 4-20-104 & 107 provide that the duties of the Tennessee Arts Commission are to:
- Stimulate and encourage throughout the state the study and presentation of the performing, visual and literary arts and public participation therein;
- Encourage participation in, appreciation of, and education in the arts to meet the legitimate needs and aspirations of persons in all parts of the state;
- Encourage public interest in the cultural heritage of our state, to expand the state’s cultural resources and to promote the use of art in the state government’s activities and facilities;
- Encourage excellence and assist freedom of artistic expression essential for the well-being of artists.
- Undertake to assure equitable participation by the traditionally underserved and underrepresented ethnic minority, people with a disability, elderly and rural artists and arts organizations.